Pewabic Pottery Addition
More Space for More Pottery
Sculpting the Neighborhood
Sachse Construction completed the 2,500 square foot addition to Pewabic Pottery’s 1912 facility. Continuing and expanding Pewabic Pottery’s longtime commitment to Detroit, the addition increased the size of the production space by more than three times, ensuring the organization can continue to grow and meet product demand. The newly expanded and renovated studio is designed for optimized functionality on the inside and a striking, unique presentation of specialized white brick with iridescent tiles on the exterior. The result is a project that transforms a Detroit business, activates the exterior façade of the building, reinvigorates the neighborhood, and serves as the foundation for a strategic master plan that will leave an indelible mark on the surrounding community.
The addition features:
- Masonry exterior with imported brick from Spain accented with iridescent tile
- Integration of the original Pewabic building and the new production facility
- New kiln and 2,500 square feet of new production space
- New HVAC system integrated with the existing system including the relocation of an existing furnace to provide airflow for both the original and existing buildings
The project with Pewabic Pottery faced several unique challenges, including:
- Physically connecting the new addition to the 111-year-old existing building while keeping the facility operational
- Architectural and aesthetic blending of the existing and new façades
- Time-zone complications with the Spanish brick maker producing a long-lead item
- Equipment coordination for the delivery and installation of the new kiln from the Netherlands
Sachse Construction completed the addition entirely without affecting Pewabic Pottery’s operations. To manage the long-lead items, the team sequenced construction activities around crucial delivery dates for the brick and kiln. To assist with language barriers, Sachse utilized a Spanish-speaking team member for communications with the brick manufacturer.