“To move forward, you have to give back.” – Oprah Winfrey
A Harvard Business Review survey recently reported that 70% of Americans believe it’s “important” for companies to make the world a better place. We couldn’t agree more, and that’s why we established the Sachse Social Mission Committee (SSM) in 2020.
Our volunteer team-member-led committee spearheads charitable initiatives to collaborate and partner with local Detroit organizations who align with our mission of empowering and investing in youth, workforce development, and community.
This year we donated over $27,000 to support local Detroit community organizations, and we’re proud to share our 2022 Impact Report highlighting the programs we’ve partnered with throughout the year!
When Russia invaded Ukraine and pushed hundreds of thousands of people out of their homes and fleeing across borders to escape violence in early 2022, the SSM launched an immediate fundraising campaign and raised $4,500 to provide shelter, food, water, medical care, and other lifesaving assistance to Ukraine citizens through the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), also known as the UN Refugee Agency.
Volunteer & Give-Back Initiatives
- Approximately 100 team members donated their time to volunteer and support the following Detroit organizations: Southwest Solutions Annual Neighborhood Beautification Day, BasBlue x ARISE Detroit! 16th Annual Neighborhoods Day, American Foundation for Suicide Prevention Out of the Darkness Community Walks, Life Remodeled Six-Day Project, City of Detroit Trunk or Treat (Detroit Police Precinct 8 – Halloween in the D), and the Vista Maria Holiday Fair.
- Over 45 team members purchased holiday gifts for youth aging out of the foster care system through the Children’s Center’s Young Adult Self Sufficiency Program (YASS).
- More than 75 pairs of mittens and gloves were collected and donated to teens in need over the holidays through Mittens for Detroit.
- An in-kind donation of 27 bicycles was made to Back Alley Bikes to support their Mechanics-in-Training and Youth Earn-A-Bike (YEAB) programs to teach Detroit youth how to repair, build, and earn bicycles.
Youth Workforce Development Partnerships
- Through a $5,000 donation, the SSM was proud to support the upskilling program at Atlantic Impact to prepare students for high-demand skilled trades careers.
- With a $2,000 contribution, the SSM supported the Teen Hype After-School Youth Leadership Program to assist high-school students develop leadership and social-emotional abilities to prepare them for school, work, and life.
- A $5,000 SSM donation to after school program at The Konnection supported their mission to fight chronic absenteeism by providing resources to keep students interested in attending school.
- With a $1,000 donation to the Young Adult Self-Sufficiency Program (YASS) at the Children’s Center, the SSM supported young people aging out of the foster care with basic resources to become contributing members of society.
Additionally, notable 2022 team member fundraising initiatives included a Summer Solstice 5K Walk-a-Thon, a Bake Sale, and a University of Michigan vs. Michigan State University lottery.
Sachse Construction also partnered with Amazon Smile to donate .5% of all office purchases to our favorite local Detroit charitable organizations.
Lastly, in honor of Blake, a Sachse Construction summer associate, our team made a $5,000 donation to The Rainbow Connection, an organization that grants wishes for Michigan children living with life-threatening medical conditions, and sponsored a trip to Disneyworld for a six-year-old Detroiter and his family.
Thank you to everyone who contributed to the 2022 Sachse Social Mission Committee Impact. We couldn’t be more proud to be a part of such a supportive and dedicated community!
If you know a Detroit-based 501(c)(3) organization doing important work supporting youth, workforce development, and community, please contact the Sachse Social Mission Committee Co-Chairs: Jill (email@example.com), Xavier (firstname.lastname@example.org), or Kellsey (email@example.com) to get involved.