In this team member spotlight, we are excited to highlight Michael, a junior from Michigan State University’s school of construction management, who interned with our retail estimating team in the summer of 2020.
Michael’s day-to-day responsibilities included:
- Coordinating pre-bide trade partner site visits and documenting existing conditions
- Negotiating trade partner contracts through the procurement process
- Leveling bids on bid day
- Performing take-offs to assist estimators in the bidding process
- Soliciting trade partner coverage for projects
As a summer associate, Michael was an active participant in our efforts to secure six projects valued at $3,200,000 combined for Gucci, Tesla, Ralph Lauren, Tory Burch, Cookies Dispensary, and the University of Toledo.
Michael shares, “Sachse Construction’s summer associate program was by far one of the best I could have asked for! The willingness of the people to help me and the different opportunities made for an amazing learning experience. Even in the short time I was here, I feel like I learned more than I would have anywhere else!”
Read more about Michael’s experience in the Q&A below:
- Why did you choose to intern at Sachse Construction? I chose Sachse Construction because of its strong presence both in Detroit and nationally, and the reputation it has earned throughout my program at MSU.
- What was your most memorable moment interning at Sachse Construction? My most memorable moment was being able to ring the gong after winning a project. It was gratifying to see the hard work put in by the team pay off!
- Which moment are you most proud of from your summer? My most prideful moment was one of the first buyouts I did. It was somewhat of an intimidating task, so succeeding at it gave me enormous pride.
- What is your favorite learning experience while working at Sachse Construction? By far, my favorite learning experience at Sachse was seeing good people do great work. There is so much one can absorb from being around successful people who are inherently good at what they do.
Bonus answer: My favorite thing that I learned was how to confidently answer questions about a project that I was working on. A lot of times, I would ask my mentor something that a trade partner was asking me, only to realize I already knew the answer. It takes practice to be able to answer questions about different scopes of work on the fly.
Our team’s passion and enthusiasm for building diverse, state-of-the-art commercial and retail spaces inspires us to provide hands-on construction management internships and careers for college students and recent graduates.
If you’re interested in learning more about our career opportunities, visit our career portal. Sachse Construction is always looking for high-caliber and energetic college students and recent graduates to join our team.
Founded in 1991 and headquartered in Detroit, Sachse Construction has built millions of square feet of commercial, retail, multifamily, and institutional space for clients throughout all 50 states, Canada, and Puerto Rico. We attribute our success to our team members because we truly believe it’s about WHO we are, not what we do.